Welcome

Welcome, dear commoners, to my special, HISTORICAL, place of learned notings; i.e my ramblings :)

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

My name - Samantha

My name is Samantha, and that's how I like it, but before? When I was younger, I despised the name. I longed for a beautiful jewel name or a flower name, as I thought those exotic - and mine commonplace- but actually my name was nowhere near as common as others!
My name was originally English, and is mainly used in English speaking countries, but it was a variation on the name 'Samuel' which had originated in Israel - but in my name the Hebrew origin was so thoroughly diluted with the English it wasn't considered in any way to have a link with Israel. The meaning of my name is 'listener', so people who bear the name 'Samantha' are considered silently steady and responsible. I'm English, and so is my name, so there is a cultural significance in there.

My Mum chose the name Samantha because she loved the main character in the TV serial 'Bewitched', who simply twitched her nose and became a reigning witch. She thought Sam was so endearing the name Samantha grew on her, so when I came around, there was no need for a second name( boohoo) because my Mum and my Dad both thought the name Samantha was so beautiful, they knew I'd suit it. As soon as my Mum saw my little peachy head, she knew I was to be Sam.

I love my name now, not only because I now know the story behind it, but because my parents took the time to choose it for me - and they know best, right? So I would think it so sad to change it, because my name is full of sentimental value! I wouldn't like my kids to change the name I gave them - I probably will give them old fashioned, beautiful names, because I'm inspired by the people who bear them. Elizabeth, Oliver, Victoria, Grace, Diana, Audrey - These are all names I sometimes wish I had, they sound so graceful and swan-like. So, really, even though I have moments of wishing my name wasn't mine, overall I love my name and it's general story!

4 comments:

  1. SAMMM!!! I love that name too. I also really like the name Audrey. its great :DDD see ya tomorrow fart powder

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leslie - it's Friday, remember? Oh no - is there something on Saturday that I forgot?! Tell! Please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story Sam! You know what? I think you are right! No one should change their name when they grow up! I find your stories always great and fun! Have a nice day Sam!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the story behind your name, it's very interesting. So your mom liked the name "Samantha" from "Bewitched"? I like the name "Samantha"! There is also an American Girl Doll named like that, she's pretty, you should meet her, you probably have things in common! Just kidding! She's a doll, and you are not! See you at school Sam! Samantha!

    ReplyDelete